Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Geog 7 Lab 1

Map of Vienna in 1827.

Map source:  http://www.tonalsoft.com/enc/v/vienna.aspx
From the encyclopedia of microtonal music.

I was shown a similar map of Vienna from this era earlier during my music history class. I found it interesting for several reasons:
1) Because I lived in Vienna for 1 year between 2008 and 2009, and it is interesting to see, both, how the city has changed, and how in some areas it remains the same.
2) It shows how the city was so contained by its walls still at that time.
3) It shows how considerably vast the city was then, and yet, how much smaller it is compared to its size today.
4) From a music history perspective it is also very interesting to see what the city was like during the lifetime of the great composer Beethoven. For me this is of special interest, as I am a music major.
5) It is fun for me to see what the surroundings of the Theaters in Vienna where I have worked were like at the time (Wiener Staatsoper and Theater an der Wien).


map of Vienna in 1827



2. Map of the region of North Rhein Westphalia in Germany.

source: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:North_Rhine-Westphalia_topographic_map_04V.svg

This map shows the area surrounding Osnabrueck which I visit twice per year to visit my daughter.
It is always interesting to me to look at a map of her area so I familiarize myself better each time before I go visit there. We can see that The Netherlands border is quite close to  this area. In many visits to Osnabrueck (which is actually not shown in this map because it is technically in the region of Lower Saxony in its southernmost tip) I have not found it to be a region that offers much in terms of touristic activity, and I am always trying to explore its surroundings. I shall become interested in the near future in exploring the cities further to the south such as Cologne and Dusseldorf.




File:North Rhine-Westphalia topographic map 04V.svg


3. Map of the World's resources by country.

source: http://www.mint.com/blog/trends/mint-map-the-worlds-resources-by-country/

This map is interesting to me because it shows Mexico's raking in the worldwide production of silver. The city where I grew up, Guanajuato, Mexico, used to be the number one producer of silver in the world during the times of the Spanish Colony. After years of exploiting Guanajuato's mines we can see that Mexico's silver production has decreased quite a lot. It is also interesting that many of the mines that still produce silver in that area, are actually now owned by foreign companies.
 http://www.mint.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/mint-world-resources-map-r2.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment